Monday, December 18, 2017

2017 Holiday Greetings!

This year, for my Christmas cartoon/illustration, I took a different tack than usual.

It's a combination of futuristic idea and wishful thinking: What if all those Xmas trees we grow and then kill couldn't be killed anymore, but instead would be used as living trees to help re-forest swathes of the planet?






I know, I know... wishful thinking.

Years ago, my parents actually tried this.

At the time, we lived somewhere where the ground didn't freeze in winter. So they bought a small potted fir tree, used it in the house over the holidays, then planted it in the backyard in January.

This went on for a few years until the tree objected - and died to prove its point!

In my scheme, we wouldn't dig up and re-use the trees, it would be a one-time rental before permanent planting.

Not sure what I'll draw next year... but whatever it is, it will have to go on much brighter white photographic-level paper. The "white" of my sketch pad isn't white enough and, as they say, the camera (which I use to shoot the drawing) never lies!

Wishing everyone a very happy holidays season and the very best of new years in 2018!

© Deborah C. Sawyer 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment