Saturday, March 5, 2011

From Above (Saturday Afternoon)

This painting is something of a departure from my usual "imagined realism" featuring animals in human settings.

I often paint from elevated perspectives, however, in this painting I am even higher up than usual!  I actually got the idea for this painting, a scene from above, in my own house where I have a walkway with a half wall on the second floor, overlooking the dining room, which has a cathedral ceiling.  So, no, I didn't get the idea when I was out and about, but more from watching visitors to my house walk through the dining room, when I happened to be on the second floor on the walkway.

As with many of my paintings, this one contains a lot of detail.  You can see who's bald and who's not, you can see how people have parted their hair, you can see who has a bun or a ponytail.  You can also see who's speaking on their cell phone... holding hands... carrying shopping bags... etc. etc. There are also people walking dogs. I'm showing a small close-up of one corner painting in this blog post. To fully appreciate all the details, though, it has to be seen in person.

"From Above (Saturday Afternoon)" will be on display from March 4, 2011 through March 27, 2011 at El Buen Amigo,  at 114 Elmwood Ave in Buffalo, New York.  El Buen Amigo is affiliated with the Latin American Cultural Association and includes a fair trade store as well as an art gallery.  You can find out more information at www.ElBuenAmigo.org.

(As well as this painting, I'm also exhibiting another already featured in a separate blog post, namely "Fat Cats IV: Touchdown?!")



The art exhibit at El Buen Amigo is to celebrate Women's Month, with International Women's Day falling on Tuesday, March 8, this year.  The objective of the art show was to feature many women artists, and I think they'd hoped to get more women out to participate.  Those of you reading this blog post, who are women artists yourselves, may want to e-mail and see if you can be put on the list for the 2012 show.  To contact El Buen Amigo, you can either use info@elbuenamigo.com or lacanewyork@yahoo.co.

Copyright Deborah C. Sawyer

No comments:

Post a Comment