Monday, January 10, 2011

Lunchtime at the 'Head in the Sand' Diner

Welcome to my blog about my art! Over the years, I've painted a number of canvases - some of which are in private collections - and plan, each time I post, to show you one of my completed canvases and tell you a bit about its creation.

Lunchtime at the Head in the Sand Diner - 36"H x 36"W
The first canvas I've selected is one that will be part of a group show, in late February 2011, at Bezpala Brown Gallery. Although I painted this a few years ago, it has not been shown before in Toronto, Canada.


One of the challenges all artists face is how to capture the colors, details and other attributes of a painting in a photograph. The generally held view is that you cannot - no photo does justice to a painting. Otherwise, why do so many people flock to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa, up close and personal?!



What you cannot see in the photo is the myriad details of lunchtime at a diner frequented by ostriches. I've also included a close-up of the right hand corner, for anyone who cannot make it into the gallery in person. For example, it is not possible, in the photo, to see exactly what is written on the outside of the menu , but it is something VERY important - from an ostrich's perspective!


Detail: Upper right
This canvas will be on display on February 26th and January 27th and the gallery is at 17 Church Street, near Front Street East.!



Detail: Lower left


Copyright Deborah C. Sawyer

All images copyrighted to the artist





No comments:

Post a Comment